Some people take great pains to find the perfect gift for someone over the holidays, because they want to treat their loved ones to something special, but it turns out a lot of people aren’t necessarily thinking that way. In fact, many are really just looking for ways to out-gift the loved ones in their lives.
A new survey finds:
- 61% of Americans see gift giving as a way to “out-gift” their loved ones.
- 39% of folks say the person they are competing with the most is their sibling.
- Other people they try to out-gift include:
- Friends (37%)
- Significant other (33%)
The competition surrounding gifting can be quite stressful for a lot of folks.
- In fact, 55% of people say gifting is causing them stress this year.
- 24% say it’s because they are concerned about being “out-gifted” by someone.
- Other sources of gifting stress include:
- Finding the perfect gift (30%)
- Items being sold out (29%)
- The gift won’t be appreciated/liked (24%)
- The recipient will never use the gift (24%)
- Buying something the recipient already has (24%)
But not everyone is looking to out-gift others.
- 74% of people are simply interested in buying the “perfect” gift for a loved one.
- As for what would constitute a perfect gift:
- It’s something they’ve been asking for (46%)
- It shows love (40%)
- It stands the test of time (40%)
- It makes the recipient laugh (38%)
- It can be used for years (37%)
Source: SWNS Digital